Liepaja Jewish Heritage Foundation events in 2019 are dedicated to the 220-th foundation and 30-th Liepaja Jewish Community renewing anniversaries.
- E. Kaplan Annual art exhibition
On Saturday, 2 February the Liepaja Jewish Heritage Foundation and Liepaja Jewish Community hosted the opening of Eduard Kaplan’s annual art exhibition.
- Kaplan’s personal exhibition takes place on his birthday for the 6-th time. Friends, acquaintances and, of course, former colleagues from Liepajas metalurgs came to congratulate him on this event.
Eduard Kaplan always liked to draw but only after retirement he got the opportunity to focus more on his hobby – painting. E. Kaplan says, 2018 was a difficult year, but something new has been created for my exhibition. As always, my paintings are dedicated to my family, Liepaja and the wonderful Baltic Sea, although there are a few exceptions like an extract from the painting of Gustav Klimt “Medicine”. The original of the canvas has not survived, and with enormous enthusiasm I tried to imitate the painting after the photo.
All visitors say- one cannot stop enjoying the beauty of Liepaja sites and the warmth they express.
Last year two paintings of E. Kaplan have been chosen by a highly professional jury to be exhibited at the annual exhibition of fine arts at the Liepaja Museum.
The exhibition of paintings by Kaplan are open at the Liepaja Community Assembly hall until the end of February.
- Participation in the Limmud Baltics 2019 in Jurmala from 8-10 February, 2019
- Beginning of restoration works on the monument to Jewish soldiers of Liepaja- fighters for the Independence of Latvia
2018 celebrations were dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the founding of the independent State of Latvia and the 70th anniversary of the State of Israel
- 16 December 2018 : Commemoration Day of Liepaja Jews in memory of those who lost their lives during the mass extermination of Liepaja Jews in the Shkede dunes between 15-17 December 1941
- 7 July 2018 : Remembrance Day of the Liepaja Righteous Gentiles commemorate the 27 Liepaja non-Jews who risked their lives during the Holocaust to save Jews from extermination by the Nazis.
- 4 July 2018 : The Day of Remembrance of Victims of Genocide against the Jews in Latviacommemorate the deaths of more than 70,000 Latvian Jews, including 9000 from Liepaja/ Libau who were killed in Nazi occupied Latvia between 1941-1945.
- March 9, 2018 – April 1. Annual art exhibition E. Kaplan.
- Up to May 2018 : Uniting History Project
This ongoing project focuses on more peaceful times in Liepaja up to June 1940 when the lives of 8,300 Liepaja civilians were shattered by the ensuing totalitarian regimes i.e. the Soviet deportation on 14 June 1941 and the Holocaust.
- 24 April 2018 : Israel Day in Liepaja
This day has been marked with an exhibition of the Shamir brothers, concert and Israel cuisine master class.
Shamir brothers : Gabriel and Maxim Shamir(Sheftelovich) were born in Liepaja, and studied graphics and design in Berlin. Importantly, they designed the fledgling Israeli state’s emblems, medals, stamps, and currency notes, including the 1949 Israel State Coat of Arms
• 07 February 2017 : Art exhibition of the works of Eduard Kaplan (a member of the Liepaja Jewish Community) held annually on the artist’s birthday
• 24 March 2017 : Photographic exhibition – the Second Life of Stones
In collaboration with the Hungarian embassy, the Foundation launched a photographic exhibition in the Assembly Hall of the Liepaja Jewish Community dedicated to the fate of synagogues in Hungary. Vittorio Monti’s composition Czardas played by the Liepaja Symphony Orchestra greeted Adrien Mueller, the Hungarian Ambassador upon his visit.
The exhibition attracted great interest among younger visitors. An interesting subject arose in this connection : should synagogues in areas with no Jewish communities be used for other purposes and functions or simply shut down ?
• 27 July 2017 : Holocaust research
A meeting was held with representatives of the Washington Holocaust Memorial Museum to discuss further developments in Holocaust research and education in Liepaja
• 8 December 2017 : Jewish Family Party of Miracles and Magic
o This family event was dedicated to the forthcoming Festival of Hanukkah reflecting the new Foundation tradition and commencing with a Shabbat blessing. A special guest, the Honourable Mrs Israela Per-Probshtein, Consul of the Embassy of Israel to Latvia has welcomed the participants.
o The festive greetings of the Foundation’s founder / supporters (George Schwab and Vitaly Kivman) were projected on a big screen.
o Magicians, Hanukkah dancers and Jewish vocal and instrumental music entertained guests throughout the evening. There were magicians and jugglers to entertain the children
• 17 December 2017 : Commemoration Day of Liepaja Jews in Shkede.
A commemoration ceremony was held in Shkede in memory of those who died during the mass extermination of Liepaja Jews in the Shkede dunes between 15-17 December 1941.
On 15 December, 2017 Liepaja Jewish descendants met at the meeting in Holon( Israel) at the monument dedicated to the Jews of Liepaja-victims of the Holocaust.
29 December 2017: Traditional meeting with the daughters of the Righteous Gentiles Johanna and Roberts Sedols